Wednesday 20 June 2012

"The Telegram Man"

Most people these days have never seen a telegram. The last one I received, telling me I was being offered a job in the Public Circus, was delivered to my home in North Carlton in 1974.

The Telegram Man is an Australian short film, directed and produced by James Francis Khehtie, and starring Jack Thompson, Sigrid Thornton and Gary Sweet.
During the long years of World War II, Australia's small farming communities paid a terrible price. In the rural towns of New South Wales, one family each week discovered that their son or husband or brother or father would not be coming home. In the throes of such grief, one seldom considers the man who delivers the news.
The film has already won a stack of awards, but it's up for another. If you like this film and want to vote for it, click here.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so beautiful, but so so
sad, wonderfully acted by Jack Thompson,Gary Sweet & Sigrid Thornton
It really gets to the heart of the futility of war, senseless loss of young lives, the dispair & grief of the ones left behind.

Kathy said...

Only you can make me watch a short film in my busy day, Henry. I admit it, I guessed what was going to happen from the word go and I was still on tenterhooks all the way through. I agree with the first comment, the acting was great, it seems to make all the difference, doesn't it?