Here is the trailer for De Niro's film:
Here is a comparison of the two films, showing the lines of voice over which Grassi sees as hers.
The text below is provided by Grassi to assist us in following the points of similarity in the voice overs. She has kept the script in order, but numbered the lines to link the commonalities.
COMPARAZIONE MONOLOGHI VOCE OFF A CONFRONTO
1) I REMEMBER THE SOUND OF THE WIND AS I WAS FALLING ASLEEP--THE TREE BRANCHES SCRAPING THE ROOF--LIKE PEOPLE WHISPERING.
2) I HAD ONLY ONE THING IN MIND, ONLY ONE PLACE TO BE---
3) LIKE YOU CAN FLY IF YOU HAD THE WINGS
4) THERE WERE ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WHO COME TO HERE AND I SEE THEM ALL--PEOPLE OF EVERY COLOR, SHAPE AND SIZE---AND I THINK ABOUT TO ALL THOSE THAT MADE IT---THEY MADE IT IN SOME DISTANT SHORE, WHEN THEY COME UP THE BEACH, ALL OVER A BRIDGE, AROUND TO A ROAD--
5) AND THEY START TO WALK, THEY START WALKING FASTER AND FASTER--AND THEY'RE RUNNING---THEY MADE IT---THEY WERE LAST HOME.
L'UOMO IN FRAC
WHAT WAS THAT? NEITHER DO I KNOW TO DEFINE, IF A LIGHTLESS TRIP ON A CROWDED HIGHWAY, I JUST DON'T KNOW. MYRIADS OF VOICES,
5) CAUSE THEY'VE BEEN A LOT OF VOICES, VOICES ON THE RUN. ALL TOGETHER ASKING ME ABOUT THE MEANING OF LIFE, BARE OF ANY ILLUSION. AND I WAS REFLECTING THINKING ABOUT MY SEA, AT HOW THE WAVES BREAK ON THE BEACH--
3) AS IF I COULD FLY WITHOUT HAVING WINGS--
1) AND I REMEMBER THE SOUND OF THE WIND, AS I WERE CONSTANTLY FALLING ASLEEP, AND THE TREE BRANCHES AGAINST THE WINDOW--PEOPLE WHO WERE TRYING TO GET IN, CLIMBING MY SOUL TO THE HART.
4) PEOPLE OF THOUSAND OF FACES, SHAPE AND SIZE--
2) AND I HAD ONLY ONE THING IN MY MIND, MUTE, EMPTY, TASTELESS AND SORE, ONLY ONE PLACE TO BE---AND I WAS WONDERING: IF THAT GOD EXISTS, WHY HE MADE ME TOUCH THE ETERNAL LOVE AND THEN TEAR IT SO? WHY HE GAVE ME A VOICE IF HE HAD TO SHUT ME DOWN THAT WAY? AND I KEPT THINKING ABOUT THE AIM AND THE MEANING OF WHY WE'RE BORN AND DIE.
Under my responsibility I declare the following: in June 2014 the first script of my work entitled "L’Uomo in Frac" was sent to Mr. De Niro. In the following months my lawyer has made contact with CAA, Tribeca, the Canal Production and the lawyer of Mr. De Niro, and my lawyer sent him the script of 05/12/2014, from which the actor, who wrote, who produced and who directed "The Ghost Of Ellis Island" has drawn: characterization of the character, literally "excerpts "of monologue and the total staging of my creative effort lasted almost three years.
To you the comparison.
Sorry for my english, i'm Italian.
Stefania Rossella Grassi
The Guardian has the story, Robert De Niro denies plagiarising Italian director for short film about immigration.